Making calls from abroad can require a bit of patience in getting set up – but stick with it! Set yourself up in a quiet area with good internet access.
You will need a device with access to the internet e.g. laptop, tablet, and a phone, Skype, or another VOIP service.
The cheapest way to make calls from abroad is to use Skype. Just 10-20 euros calling credit will get you 2-3 hours of call time.
- Open your web browser
- Go to www.openvpb.com
- Log in if you already have an account, or select 'Create an ActionID' if you don't
- Type in the code for the area you want to call.
You will have been told a specific code, or where to get them from. If this is part of a General Election campaign, then codes will be updated often, so go check frequently.
- If you're using Skype, open it on your phone or laptop and top up with 10-20 euros calling credit
- Start making calls! (Remember to add +44 to the phone numbers!)
- Read up on the candidate by going to the local party website
- Smile! Voters can hear you smiling :-)
- Put the script in your own words – no need to follow it word for word
- Focus on the data and getting answers to the questions – this is the most helpful thing for local teams
- Finish on a good call
- Post a photo of you making calls on social media!
- Keep checking for new codes to be made available
- Why not hold a phone banking party and invite your friends round and phone bank together? Cake and tea optional but highly recommended!